Trains and railways
For maintenance and repair, typically heat exchangers, brakes, compressors, etc. must be cleaned under the trains and railways or under the wagons.
For cleaning trains and trams, usually high-pressure cleaners are used. This regularly causes the following problems:
- High water consumption;
- Splash effects and damage: the water is distributed all around;
- One stands at an angle to the traction unit, i.e. one does not fully reach the heat exchangers, for example;
- Certain parts such as heat exchangers can be bent or even irreparably destroyed by high pressure.
With the help of low-pressure hot cleaning, heat exchangers, brakes, couplings and compressors can be cleaned directly on or under the wagon without damaging the parts and without using a lot of water.
This is possible because the low-pressure hot cleaning devices only require 1.8 or 2.8 litres of water per minute; in comparison, a high-pressure cleaner uses at least 20-30 litres per minute. Also there are no splash-back effects due to the low pressure of up to 7.5 or 14 bar. The cleaning effect is achieved via the high temperatures of up to 95°C, with which especially greasy and oily or complex surfaces can be cleaned quickly and thoroughly.
At the same time, parts can often be cleaned without first being completely dismounted, because the lances and nozzles can often reach clean areas that are otherwise difficult to access. This saves time and money and reduces the risks of material breakage and industrial accidents.
- Efficiency/quality: Significant time savings, and yet fast and thorough cleaning:
- High temperature and sufficient pressure ascertain fast and complete cleaning.
- Minimal space requirement: Devices are self-sufficient and require very little space; no separate washrooms needed.
- Mobility: Devices are mobile and can therefore be pulled to the location where there is a cleaning job. The operator can go directly to the part to be cleaned and clean it efficiently. This saves considerable transport and shunting time.
- Gentle process: No damage to (sensitive) parts at 7.5 and also at 14 bar.
- No splash-back effects, no clouds of droplets, no aerosols, thus ideal for use in the workshop.
- Cleaning medium: Hot water without additives or with minimal addition of chemicals. Hence minimal costs for procurement and disposal. Cleaning medium can be reused multiple times.
- Considerably more pleasant, faster and more efficient work than by hand.
- Devices can be used universally and are ideal for parts cleaning of all kinds.
- Occupational safety and environmental protection:
- Water consumption one tenth of high-pressure cleaners.
- Water consumption can be reduced even further with the help of the waste water collection tray 1000 KW-FP by recycling the collected waste water.
- No or only minimal use of chemicals means improved environmental compatibility, increased safety at work and significantly lower costs.
- This is because the cleaning effect is achieved by temperature, not by solvents or alkaline cleaners.
- In summary: Low investment, minimal space requirement, hardly any operating costs, but high efficiency, excellent quality, and significant time savings.
Coupling devices covered with dirt and grease had to be cleaned in the installed state to allow a visual inspection.
Furthermore, it had to be tested whether freshly pressed-in grease leaked out at the bearing or at the ball pivot.
With the low-pressure hot cleaning process, greasy and oily parts - here the trailer couplings of the wagons of the Paris Metro - are cleaned with medium at up to 95°C and low pressure (up to 7.5 or up to 14 bar).
For this purpose, the couplings were cleaned in the pit with our alkaline cleaner B1200 while mounted on the wagon. The very cramped conditions and the necessity to collect the cleaning liquid with the help of a special 1000 KW collector did not make the task easy. Nonetheless, after the first cleaning from the outside, almost all grease and dirt was removed.
In a second step, the lubrication nipples on the couplings were removed and prepared for the ph-cleantec spray gun by means of a previously made adapter. In this way, the coupling pin could be rinsed from the inside with our B1200 cleaner (3% dilution) and hot water. This pushed most of the dirt and grease out of the coupling from the inside.
With the coupling cleaned from the inside, it was possible to check whether and where the fresh grease escaped during lubrication. Without this possibility, the complete towing device had to be dismantled, which meant an effort of approx. 8 - 9 hours of assembly per wagon.
Thus, low-pressure hot cleaning offered the ideal solution here:
- Excellent cleaning quality, as even interior spaces that could not be reached by hand could be ideally cleaned and rinsed out at 95°C.
- Thanks to the adapter, very good results even in areas that are otherwise inaccessible, here the inside of the coupling pins.
- Work in and around the pit is possible without any problems.
- Due to the mobility of the equipment, work can be done directly on the respective wagon or coupling; no transport of the wagon to separate washrooms, thus no travelling time.
- All in all, huge savings in working time and much more efficient work.
- No damage to sensitive parts due to low pressure of 3 - 7.5 bar.
- Minimum water consumption: Only 1.8 litres/minute (7.5 bar) or 2.8 litres/minute (14 bar).
- Adding a maximum of 1 - 3% alkaline cleaner B1200 means minimal amounts of chemicals at 1.8 or 2.8 litres/minute, i.e. low costs and minimal environmental impact.
- Low investment, low operating costs.
- Efficiency/quality: Very substantial time savings, at the same time thorough cleaning results:
- High temperature and sufficient pressure enable fast and complete cleaning in a minimum of time, especially of oily and greasy contamination.
- Thanks to various lances and nozzles, efficient cleaning even of areas that are difficult to access, here the inner areas of the coupling pins.
- No damage to sensitive parts.
- Optimum accessibility, hardly any space requirement: Devices and collectors are mobile and self-sufficient, so cleaning is possible directly on the wagon. No separate washrooms required, and no transport to separate washrooms.
- Minimal splash-back effects, no clouds of droplets, no aerosols, thus ideal in workshops or depots.
- Cleaning medium: Hot water without chemicals, or with minimum addition of chemicals (1-3%). Therefore minimal costs for procurement and disposal. Also, used medium can be recycled multiple times, thus reducing costs even further.
- Considerably more pleasant, faster and more efficient work than by hand, with a cold wash table or similar.
- Occupational safety and environmental protection: No or minimal chemicals means improved environmental compatibility, high occupational safety and significantly lower costs.
- In summary: Low investment, minimal space requirement, hardly any operating costs, but high efficiency and quality as well as enormous time savings.